Thursday, May 7, 2009

Almost Emilie - Progressives


Here are the progressives for the painting "Almost Emilie" , based on a Kent Williams painting.

I started with a "recycled" 18x 18 inch canvas that was painted in olive green and left to dry for some days. There's another painting under the green, which I didn't really like, so I painted over it. I sketched in an outline in burnt umber, but as you can see, it got changed later. I tend to change my mind at the beginning quite a bit....

Based on KW's painting, I sketch in the basic shape and some shading and left it to dry for a week.
Stronger outlines in brown umber and Vandyke brown were added in, and I painted in flesh tones. I'm still obsessed with vermillion, and so made much of the undertone colours in that hue. I left it to dry for a week.

Now for the details! I refined the features and added in details to the face and chest. Still using the same colour palette as the version before, but laying more opaque layers, while still hoping to keep some of the brush strokes visible. Wanted to use a palette knife on this, but because of overpainting of the background left the canvas surface very uneven, I wasn't able to manipulate the knife well.

Here's a detail of the face at this stage.

I put in the sofa/armchair colour, and also add some white mixed with a little ultramarine into the background to dull the green.
Here's the final product. The red is more intense, I'm still not sure about the hands, but I'll look at it in a week or two and see if I want to correct it. Or you can tell me what you think :)

2 comments:

Jason Siew said...

WAH! VERY NICE!!
Thanks for sharing the progressive of the painting, it's really cool to record down all the steps from the beginning till the end! I should do that too next time. Hope to see more from you.

twisstii said...

thanks for sharing the progress, it looks awesome. it has an overall very interesting choice of colour with your trademark crimson. i feel the eyes and hair need more emphasis as it kinda blends in with the rest.
fantastic job! :D