Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I don't want Mei Mei anymore!

It's finally out in the bookstores! "I don't want Mei Mei anymore!" is a book about a little boy who comes to terms with his baby sister blues. (Story by Lynn Lee, illustrations by Phua San San)

I started work on the illustrations for this children's book in June 2008. This one of the books from the “First-Time Writers & Illustrators Publishing Initiative” for 2008, an initiative from the Media Development Authority (MDA) and the National Book Development Council of Singapore (NBDCS) to nurture talents in the publishing industry. If you have a story or illustrations for a children's books, click here to find out more about the 2009 initiative details.

The book is 32 pages, 22 x 22 cm and is out in bookstores now at S$9. Here's a look at some of the pages inside.




Children's picture books are a genre I never got to explore properly before. For this project I went through quite a few books for reference and research. It opened my eyes to charming, imaginative and beautiful worlds and landscapes inside the covers of books for children. (My favs are still the Dr Suess series!) Illustrating the book was a fun and a great learning experience :) I'll do it again!

5 comments:

Parka said...

Nice design. I like the characters and the colours.

sina said...

wow! that's so great... congrats on illustrating a children's book. More good things to come i'm sure...

Wish i had your talent with drawing :p

Jane said...

hi san san,

my 2 year old boy loves this book to bits. we got it for him 2 weeks back to introduce him to the idea of a sibling. just on the first day alone, he asked for it to be repeated 4 times. today we bought it along for his haircut, and he sat through the haircut quietly while i read the book twice.

only grouse about the book is that the binding is terrible. the pages fell off after a couple of days of flipping. we had to tape it together in the end cos i foresee that we'll continue to read this for quite a while.

Michelle Boost said...

Very nice San! Well done! Love the characters.

san san said...

Thank you, everyone! :) I'm still in minor shock about the book - it's published and being read by kids!!! Wow!!! :)

Yes, I've split the binding of the book for a few copies already. Have given feedback to the publisher about the binding - hoping that the next run will be better.

Thank you all, for making my day! :)